Legal News / Sas & Ing, Barristers & Solicitors, Immigration Law Centre

Canadian Immigration Lawyer Explains What Applicants Need to Know About Cannabis Use

Via: ReleaseWire

Updated 2:39 PM CST, Fri, January 18,2019

Canadian immigration lawyer says prospective immigrants need to be careful when it comes to the recreational use of marijuana

Vancouver, BC -- (ReleaseWire) -- 01/18/2019 -- As Canadian Immigration lawyers, the team at Sas & Ing advise prospective immigrants to be cautious about cannabis use in Canada. While recreational use of pot is now permitted, many restrictions apply, and these should be of special interest to people coming to Canada, whether to visit, work, study or live permanently. For more, go to

The Federal government has provided for the legal possession of marijuana as set out in the Cannabis Act. The Act provides that an individual 18 years of age or older may possess up to 30 grams of "licit" or legal cannabis, and no more than four plants for cultivation. An individual cannot possess ANY illicit cannabis, nor any budding plant in a public place.

Trafficking, importation, distribution, and production of cannabis for individuals are all prohibited except as described above. The Act further provides that the Provinces and Territories will be responsible for determining how cannabis is sold in their jurisdictions and they have the added authority to set further restrictions such as:

- lowering the limits from lawful possession to less than 30 grams;
- increasing the minimum age for lawful possession to above 18 years of age;
- restricting the locations for personal use; and
- making further requirements for growing plants for personal use.

Individuals need to be aware of what the applicable laws are in each province or territory they may be living in or visiting to ensure that the use of cannabis is permitted in that jurisdiction.

Possession or cultivation of licit (legal) marijuana is permitted whereas possession or cultivation of illicit (illegal) marijuana will still attract criminal penalties. Transport of cannabis, even medically prescribed cannabis, across international borders remains illegal. In most countries, possession of cannabis remains illegal and is subject to a criminal conviction. Bringing legal marijuana into Canada from another country is not permitted, nor is bringing legal Canadian marijuana into another country. While possession of cannabis for personal use is now permitted in Canada, carrying it across an international border is not and can result in either a Canadian or foreign criminal conviction.

This can have serious consequences for both temporary residents (visitors, students, foreign workers) and permanent residents. A criminal conviction or a determination that a person has committed an offence (such as illegal possession in a foreign jurisdiction) can result in a person being found criminally inadmissible to Canada and denied entry for five years or more. It can also result in the loss of permanent residence status!

While the laws in Canada for the use of recreational marijuana have changed, there is still a lot yet to be determined. Cannabis users are advised to proceed cautiously. As Canadian Immigration lawyers, here are a few guidelines:

- Never bring any form of cannabis across any international border

- If you do bring cannabis into Canada, be sure to DECLARE it to CBSA

- Do not use or purchase cannabis in any foreign jurisdiction, even US states which permit cannabis use. It still is a federal offence in the United States and Canadian border officials can determine that you have committed an offence and deny you entry to Canada – for more than 5 years.

- Be sure that you are familiar with the laws for using cannabis in any province or territory that you are visiting.

- Never give or share cannabis with anyone under the age of 18.

The team at Sas & Ing work closely with individuals, families, corporations, executives, students and universities, government departments, and others to satisfy their unique immigration requirements. To learn more contact (604)–689–5444 or

About Sas & Ing Immigration Law Centre
Sas & Ing Immigration Law Centre has over 30 years of continued in-depth and comprehensive expertise in most aspects of Canadian Immigration practice. Sas & Ing, as Vancouver immigration lawyers, have facilitated applications to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), Service Canada and Canada Border Services Agency. Catherine & Victor work closely with other lawyers specializing in Business, Employment, Tax, and Real Estate to provide comprehensive legal advice to companies and individuals as they navigate the regulatory requirements necessary for temporary or permanent establishment in Canada.

For additional information, please visit or call (604) 689-5444.

Sas & Ing Immigration Law Centre
Catherine Sas
(604) 689-5444
Company website:

For more information on this press release visit:

Media Relations Contact
Catherine Sas
Email: Click to Email Catherine Sas